Thank you for your interest in participating in DC UL’s Geargasm 2018. We are delighted you will be a part of what we think is a very special event!
You can participate in one—or all—of three ways:
- Send us demos/samples of your product to showcase in our shelter, quilt/sleeping bag, hammock, pack, kitchen, or general ultralight gear showcases. Your gear will be returned after the event.
- Donate an item for our raffle to raise money to support the City Kids Wilderness Project.
- Create a coupon code specifically for our members that can be used by event attendees after the event.
ABOUT THE VENUE
Geargasm is held at the Elizabeth Furnace Group Campsite in the George Washington National Forest. It is located just outside of Front Royal, Va. The campsite is primitive and involves a short walk (100 yards) from the parking area.
The event itself is held rain or shine on Saturday, June 23. We will have a dedicated area for shelter and hammock displays, as well as the ability to display packs. If you plan to attend, let us know if you would like to reserve a picnic table to display your gear. We will have a limited number of canopies available in case of inclement weather; these canopies can be reserved in advance, but we encourage you to bring your own. Onsite camping is available for Friday and Saturday evenings. You’re welcome to join us.
GPS Coordinates: 38.93167, -78.32083
- From I-81: Take exit 296 off I-81. Turn east on VA 55 and continue for 1.4 miles. In center of Strasburg (traffic light), turn left to remain on VA 55. After 5.0 miles, turn right onto SR 678 in the small community of Waterlick. The recreation area will be on your left in about 3.5 miles. Entrance to the Elizabeth Furnace Group Campground is on your left.
- From I-66: Take Exit 6 (Front Royal) off I-66. Take SR 340/522 South for 1.3 miles until you come to a stoplight. Turn right onto VA 55 West and continue for 5 miles to the small community of Waterlick. Turn left onto SR 678 and the recreation area will be on your left in about 3.5 miles. Entrance to the Elizabeth Furnace Group Campground is on your left.
PUBLICIZING YOUR PARTICIPATION
In the weeks leading up to the event, DC UL will announce your participation on the event page, on our blog, and on our social media accounts. We will tag you and include any hashtags you’d like us to highlight. We also ask you to send us your logo so we can use it on event materials and in promotions.
At the event, we will supply materials so people can write down gear that interests them. After the event, we will send around an email to attendees containing websites and other information for participating companies.
- We’ll be at @DCULBackpacking’s Geargasm on June 23. Come check out our gear!
- Here’s a sampling of what we’ll have at @DCULBackpacking’s Geargasm on June 23. We hope to see you there.
- It’s the largest gathering of #ultralight backpackers—and we’ll be there! We look forward to seeing you and sharing our gear at @DCULBackpacking’s Geargasm on June 23.
SHIPPING DEMO GEAR OR RAFFLE DONATIONS
Please send demo gear so that it arrives no later than June 20. You can send demo gear to the following address:
DC UL Backpacking
℅ Brian Horst
11514 Bucknell Drive #204
Silver Spring, MD 20902
Please identify which, if any, items are approved for use as a raffle donation. Unless requested otherwise, all gear will be shipped back to you on June 28. Please include your shipping information with the demo gear. We also encourage you to consider including a discount code post-event that would be made to available to attendees.
As the event is held on National Forest Service land, onsite sales are unfortunately not allowed. However, attendees are often waiting for Geargasm to be able to check out and compare items firsthand, and then follow through after the event. This is true not just for larger ticket items like packs and shelters, but also for many of the smaller items they get to see and may not have otherwise known about.
For insight from a fellow vendor who has participated in past Geargasm, feel free to contact Chad North of North x North at <chad[at]northxnorth.co>.